Does anyone doubt that this could be true? From Politico:
- What wasn’t routine was where the crew stopped along the way: President Donald Trump’s Turnberry resort, en route to the Middle East and on the way back.
- On previous trips to the Middle East, the C-17 had landed at U.S. air bases such as Ramstein Air Base in Germany or Naval Station Rota in Spain to refuel.
- The military has spent $11 million on fuel at the Prestwick Airport — the closest airport to Trump Turnberry — since October 2017. Fuel that would be cheaper if purchased at a U.S. military base.
- One crew member was so struck by the choice of hotel — markedly different than the Marriotts and Hiltons the 176th maintenance squadron is used to — that he texted someone close to him and told him about the stay, sending a photo and noting that the crew’s per diem allowance wasn’t enough to cover food and drinks at the ritzy resort.
- Raise the possibility that the military has helped keep Trump’s Turnberry resort afloat — the property lost $4.5 million in 2017, but revenue went up $3 million in 2018.